The Heath & Integrative Physiology (HIP) biochemistry laboratory is housed within the Department of Kinesiology and Health Education. HIP focuses primarily on investigating the interplay between lifestyle behaviors, metabolic health, and chronic disease. Accordingly, this laboratory has the requisite equipment and resources to support research investigating biomarkers involved in health and disease:
- Space for conducting interviews and completing surveys
- Access to DXA scan and fitness testing
- A designated sample collection room for phlebotomy
- CLIA-waived, point-of-care testing for HbA1C, glucose, and lipids
- Sample processing equipment, includes a -80⁰C freezer for adequate sample preservation
- Equipment to perform batch analyses; ELISA’s to quantify single analytes or multiplexing to quantify multiple biomarkers simultaneously as a panel
HIP is a core facility so its resources and services are available to those within, as well as outside of, the department. These resources provide flexibility for assessing a wide variety of analytes, with the ability to tailor this assessment so that it is specific to research goals.